Pages

May 8, 2010

iPad 3G



First and foremost, the iPad 3G is, well, an iPad. That’s a good thing. Physically, the two devices look nearly identical, the only difference is in a small black band that is overlays the top of the back of the iPad 3G. This plastic shield is for the 3G modem and it remains flush with the rest of the device. From a weight perspective, Apple says that the 3G unit is 1.6 lbs versus 1.5 lbs for the Wi-Fi only model, but it was difficult for me to tell any difference in my own tests (and the fact that I was comparing a 32 GB unit against a 64 GB unit blurred any weight differential further.)


iPad 3G : The Good

Moving on from the basics like look and feel and the overview of data plans, let’s look at some of the best aspects of the 3G-specific model.
In addition to having a 3G modem, the iPad 3G also has built-in GPS. This means that for mapping applications and other location-specific information, the iPad 3G will be more accurate than the Wi-Fi-only iPad, which uses Wi-Fi to grab location coordinates. Now, the Wi-Fi location solution isn’t bad — and for most uses, it’s more than adequate.
However, if you are wanting to do any sort of turn-by-turn work or you want a compass or to use mapping applications that really need to have full GPS support, the iPad 3G will be great for that. If you thought that having an iPad installed in your car was a cool idea before, think about it with full GPS support on a 9.7-inch touch screen!
Having a 3G modem also goes a long way at making the iPad a truly mobile device. For the last month, I’ve mostly used the iPad in the confines of my house, at Starbucks or some other place I knew I would have Wi-Fi. That meant that using it out by the pool was out (unless I wanted to spend some time hacking into Wi-Fi from one of the neighbours) and that using it in the car was limited.
Just knowing I can have a data connection virtually anywhere makes the iPad 3G instantly more useful as a go-to connected device. Before, I’ve always felt like I had to make the decision to just go with the iPhone or also pack up my laptop.
Baterry Life
As a gadget junkie, I regularly discount 20% of a manufacturer’s promised battery life off of any product. That’s why I was so shocked to see the Wi-Fi-only iPad consistently last longer than its 10 hours advertised rate.
The iPad 3G is rated to last nine hours while using 3G, and in my tests, I found that to be an accurate estimate. The guys at iLounge did a much more scientific test than me, re-loading the same large website over and over until the battery died. I simply turned Wi-Fi off and used the iPad until it told me it couldn’t. This meant I accessed the web, downloaded apps, watched videos and played games.
The battery life isn’t quite as strong in 3G mode as it is when just using Wi-Fi, but it’s still pretty strong. Just be aware that you’ll need to likely shave 10 – 15% off the lifespan of a Wi-Fi-only iPad if you are using it with 3G. Eight and a half hours is still nothing to sneeze at, but be aware of the energy constraints that 3G access takes on the device.
For users who travel a lot on business — especially if you are in a car or on a train a lot — I think the 3G feature is definitely worth the money, if only to have as a “just-in-case” backup.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...